This is one of my favorite E meals! It hits all of my criteria– low fat, healthy carbs, great taste, and can be assembled in under 15 minutes! This low fat chili will rock your winter!
We usually have this chili once or twice a month since I crave it! There’s something about this sweet, smoky combo of fire-roasted tomatoes, coriander, and sweet potatoes that really does something for me!
I received a lovely spice rack as a newlywed, and my poor little bottle of coriander seeds remained a complete mystery until this recipe came into my life. I use an old pepper grinder to freshly grind the coriander for this dish.
I’m also all about shortcuts in the kitchen, so I buy my fire-roasted tomatoes by the can. They’re less than $1 at Aldi, and they add such a great flavor! If you have the time or want to avoid preservatives (or have an abundance from your garden, in which case my very-not-green-thumb and I would love your advice!!), here’s a great recipe to make your own.
I also usually make my sweet potatoes a day or two in advance. I typically put roasted chicken or tilapia, zucchini, and sweet potatoes all cooked in the oven on the meal plan for that same week, and I throw in 2 extra sweet potatoes for this meal. I’m a huge fan of easy meal prep, and it means two easy THM E suppers in one week!
While this can be made in less than 15 minutes, it tastes even better if you have the time to let it simmer for another 10-20 minutes. It also does that magical thing that happens to chili and spaghetti sauce where it tastes even better as leftovers the next day!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cooked
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 Tbl minced onion
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes or 1.5 cups of homemade fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/8- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp mineral salt
Spray pot with nonstick cooking spray. Brown ground turkey over medium-high heat, add onions towards the end.
Add tomatoes, black beans, and spices.
Mash cooked sweet potatoes and add to the pot.
If you have the time, simmer on low for 10-20 minutes before serving. You can garnish it with some Greek yogurt or a small amount of reduced-fat cheese to keep it a low fat chili for an E setting for THM.
Resources That I Love
…for a healthy body, soul, and budget:
- Supercharge Your Weight Loss- Need a little extra “oomph” to help you stay on plan? Several of my friends recently introduced me to HealthyWage. If you’re losing weight well with THM or if financial rewards motivate you to stay on track, then HealthyWage is perfect for you!
- Save on On-Plan Groceries- I’ve been using Ibotta to save money on these on all kinds of THM items, including on plan ice creams! Ibotta is a completely FREE app that gives you cash back on grocery items, and you can even use it alongside other coupons and sales! Get $10 for checking it out HERE!
- Save on Healthy Meat– ButcherBox is my new favorite way to buy antibiotic free, grass fed beef, pork, and chicken! It’s cheaper than I can get it in the local stores, and it comes right to my door! Use the code AP10 to get $10 off your first box and FREE nitrate-free bacon!!