Speedy Weight Loss With This Easy Trim Healthy Mama Meal Plan For Beginners.
This easy-to-follow Trim Healthy Mama meal plan for beginners is a great way to dive into losing weight. The THM-friendly menu gives you a taste of the diet plan while helping you lose the weight your first week on plan.
If you’ve looked into the Trim Healthy Mama diet before, it’s easy to feel like you’ve wandered into a bowl of alphabet soup with S, E, and FP’s floating all over.
Sometimes you just want someone to tell you what to eat and when to eat it.
After 6 years on plan with THM, following Trim Healthy Mama has become almost second nature for me. And it totally can for you, too!
But to start off with some great results, let’s use this potent Trim Healthy Mama meal plan for beginners for some speedy weight loss.
We’ll look at some basics of starting with a Trim Healthy Mama meal plan for beginners and then dive into a one week menu (lol, keep scrollin’ if you’re just here for the food 😉 ).
How do you do the trim healthy mama diet?
The main tenants of Trim Healthy Mama meal plan for beginners to master are stable blood sugar levels for health and separating foods for weight loss.
Here’s a quick overview of each main principle:
1. Balanced Blood Sugar Levels
THM advises you to keep your blood sugar levels from spiking.
Spikes in blood sugar can lead to pre-diabetes or diabetes, increased inflammation in the body, impaired immune response, weight gain, and even premature aging.
THM ways to balance blood sugar:
- Cut out blood-sugar-spiking foods like white flour, sugar, and white potatoes
- Use blood-sugar friendly sweeteners, like stevia, sugar alcohols (erythritol and xylitol), and monk fruit
- Have protein with every meal and snack
2. Separate Meal Types for Weight Loss
THM teaches that you separate healthy carbohydrate meals from meals with healthy fats for weight loss. Here’s a quick summary:
- Leave 3 hours in between meals if switching meal types
- Pick either a lower fat meal with healthy carbs OR a higher fat meal with lower carbs
- Include lots of veggies!
How do I start trim healthy mama?
To start Trim Healthy Mama, you need a THM book.
Which Trim Healthy Mama Book is best?
- Original Trim Healthy Mama Book– it’s huge, but packed with info. It was written before the majority of the THM food products were developed, so many recipes do not contain special ingredients. This book is going out of print (it was self-published) and may not be available much longer.
- THM Plan Book– The plan is laid out in a very clear way, with lots of details and a bunch of THM example meal plans based on the first THM cookbook.
- Trim Healthy Table Cookbook– This is a second THM cookbook, and there’s a very simple, clear explanation of the plan in the first 3 chapters. The recipes are more like typical American foods, but many do contain special ingredients.
- The Trim Healthy Mama Starter Book– A fantastic, beginner guide to THM that breaks THM down into easy to follow, bite size steps. It’s so good and so easy to understand! Also available as a Starter Book (and membership) or the Starter Book with Best-Selling THM Products to jumpstart your journey.
To REALLY dive into the Trim Healthy Mama meal plan for beginners, here’s some additional resources to get started:
- My THM Weight Loss Story and Quick Start Guide
- The 5 Things You Actually Need To Get Started With THM (only 2 of them cost money)
- How To Stay On Plan– Tips for THM Beginners From a THM Vet
Is Trim Healthy Mama healthy?
I spent over 10 years working as a physician assistant before becoming a stay at home mom. I’ve worked in internal medicine, weight loss clinics, the ER, family practice, and integrative medicine (holistic health/natural remedies stuff).
THM is my favorite meal plan.
I find that it tends to be helpful for diabetics, since it recommends healthy blood sugar levels, and its emphasis on healthy fats, protein, and veggies is great.
My favorite part is that it doesn’t cut out any entire food groups.
Healthy carbs have become the enemy in this era of Keto/low carb dieting (check out my thoughts on Keto here),.
THM is the most balanced diet that I’ve come across for all-around health.
Trim Healthy Mama meal plan for beginners
How To Simplify Your Shopping
Save even more time by using one of these methods to get your groceries. We do a combo of Walmart Grocery Pick Up and Instacart delivery (they shop at Aldi for me).
I’ve heard great things about Amazon grocery delivery, but it’s not available in my area yet.
- Walmart Grocery Pick Up– They shop for you, you pull into the indicated parking spots, and they load stuff right into your car. Added bonus- if they don’t have what you ordered, you often get an upgraded brand or size! Do check your produce and eggs though! Save $10 off your first Walmart Grocery Pick Up Order here!
- Instacart Grocery Delivery- They shop for you and bring it straight to your door. My shoppers go to Aldi for me (yay for on plan sprouted bread and cheese crisps!). You can try InstaCart and get $10 off your first order with this link.
- Amazon Fresh offers amazing service if it’s available in your area. You get free grocery delivery with Amazon Prime.
I LOVE getting THM-friendly stuff from Amazon cuz I use Amazon gift cards earned free from Swagbucks.
What To Eat
The very first THM book mentions starting off the THM diet with 2-3 days of only S meals (low carb, healthy fats) to use up all of your stored glucose and kickstart fat burning (page 112).
For the fastest weight loss, it advises that you follow those S days with 1-1.5 days of just E meals (low fat, healthy carbs).
Then you repeat that rhythm for a few months.
This meal plan is based off of those recommendations for faster weight loss in the beginning.
This also helps you to get really familiar with each of the two basic meal types of THM.
Additionally, you’re a lot less likely to accidentally have a crossover (when you mix the S and E too close and it can promote weight gain).
There’s also no special ingredients (NSI) needed for this THM beginner meal plan.
If you’re hungrier on the all E days (most people are), use any of these tips to stay full after E meals.
This menu is similar to a THM Fuel Cycle (for stubborn weight loss), but it’s not quite as strict, which means you still get to eat yummy things like cheesecake. 🙂
A word of caution– very rapid weight loss can trigger gall bladder issues if you still have one. Additionally, rapid weight loss isn’t always sustainable.
While I am a physician assistant, I’m not your PA. Please consider discussing this with your doctor before starting a new diet or exercise program.
Sunday- All S
Breakfast- scrambled eggs with sauted veggies (non-starchy ones like zucchini) and seasonings (I like Creole seasoning, salt, and nutritional yeast), bacon or sausage, coffee with cream
Lunch- salad with lots of leafy greens, cucumbers, a low carb dressing (like ranch or olive oil and vinegar), cheese Whisps crumbled for croutons if desired, bacon bits, and topped with grilled or sauted salmon
Dinner- Roasted chicken with skin, Company Cauliflower, side salad with low carb dressing
- Make enough chicken to have leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch
Monday- All S
Breakfast- Coconut flour blueberry muffins and turkey bacon or sausage
Lunch- leftover chicken reheated with a large helping of Green Fries
Snack- celery with natural, no sugar added peanut butter
Dinner- Spaghetti and meat sauce, side salad with low carb dressing
- You can use spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or Dreamfield’s pasta for the noodles
- Double the sauce recipe and save for Day #5; use a tomato sauce with no added sugar
Dessert- Pumpkin Cake in a Mug
Tuesday- All E
Breakfast- Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal over vanilla Greek Yogurt with a clementine orange on the side
- You can buy vanilla Oikos 000 Greek yogurt (considered on plan)
- OR you can make your own with plain, fat free Greek yogurt, a dash of vanilla extract, and your favorite on plan sweetener to taste
Lunch- 1-2 bowls of Get Methylating Lentil Soup
Snack- cheese stick, an apple or pear, 2 Wasa crackers with 1 wedge Light Laughing Cow cheese, cucumbers or celery sticks
Dinner- Sweet and Spicy Stir Fry over brown rice
Wednesday- Part E/Part S
Breakfast- leftover Apple Pie Muffins with one Okios 000 Greek Yogurt (or your own, on plan Greek yogurt)
Lunch- Leftover Get Methylating Soup or leftover Stir Fry
Snack- 1-2 brown rice cakes or Wasa crackers topped with <1 tsp peanut butter and sliced strawberries; smoothie with 1 cup frozen strawberries, defrosted (comes to about 1/2 cup defrosted), 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, and sweetener to taste (I use 1 doonk THM stevia)
Dinner- Taco Salad:
- Lettuce (preferably organic; we prefer iceburg for the flavor with taco salad, but other greens have more nutrients)
- Top with ranch dressing (with <1 carb), S toppings like sour cream, cheese, and avocado
- Make taco meat with low carb taco seasoning
Dessert- Skinny Chocolate
Thursday- All S
Breakfast- Muffin in a Mug
Lunch- BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza and an S side salad
Snack- Celery with natural peanut butter, 1 square 85% dark chocolate
Dinner- Eggplant Lasagna with leftover meat sauce, broccoli with butter and seasoning, low carb garlic biscuits if desired (see Eggplant Lasagna link for recipe)
Dessert- 5 Ingredient Cheesecake for Two
Friday- All S
Breakfast- Pumpkin Cake in a Bowl
Lunch- leftover Eggplant Lasagna, side salad with S toppings
Snack- almonds, berries, and 85% dark chocolate
Dinner- The Best Cauliflower Pizza and non-starchy veggies on the side with ranch
Dessert- Easy Peasy Peanut Butter Fudge
Saturday- All E
Breakfast- Healthy Pancakes topped with Greek yogurt and berries; 1-2 slices turkey bacon
Lunch- Sandwich on 2 slices sprouted bread- use lean turkey meat, 1 wedge Light Laughing Cow cheese, veggies; 1/2 cup cottage cheese, berries, and stevia; carrots and celery slices
Snack- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies and a cheese stick
Dessert- Cottage Berry Whip (technically a Fuel Pull)
If there’s more than 3 hours in between breakfast and lunch, you may need a morning snack.
Please feel free to pick your favorite S or E snack or repeat one of the snacks already listed in this sample menu. Just stick with the S or E fuel that you’re already having for that day.
Beyond the Trim Healthy Mama Meal Plan For Beginners
Yay! You did it! You’re doing an awesome job getting used to this new way of eating, and you’ve stuck to the plan for the first week.
You can keep going with this schedule of alternating 2-3 full days of S and 1-1.5 days of only E, or you can mix up your meals, leaving 3 hours in between S and E fuels.
For more ideas for yummy S and E meals, check out:
- The Easiest E Meals Ever for Busy THM’ers
- Speedy S Meals To Keep You Sane
- 30+ of the Most Popular THM E Recipes from other THM Bloggers
- 20+ Favorite S Recipes from THM Bloggers
For more easy, yummy, THM-friendly menus, check out:
- Drive Thru Sue Menu-– less than 10 minutes of cooking a day
- Fuel Cycle Menu (for those hard-to-lose pounds)
- The Easiest THM Menu Ever (reusable for endless variety!)
- THM Walmart Menu to save money and lose weight
Struggle with staying on plan and sticking to THM? Me, too. Or at least, I did until I started using this awesome THM-friendly meal planner!
Save this for later by pinning it to your favorite THM Pinterest board!