Did you know that in just 5 minutes, you can whip up one of the most powerful superfoods that will help you to get and stay healthy? How amazing is that?! Give me 5 minutes and a crockpot, and we’re on our way to homemade bone broth, which is like a spa day for good gut health.
Homemade bone broth is one of the keys to unlocking radiant health from the inside out, and it’s so ridiculously easy. I know that your day is already packed with caring for kids and keeping up with your busy schedule, so let your crockpot or InstantPot lead the way to wellness.
While homemade bone broth is a traditional food made in ancient kitchens, we’re gonna use all our modern conveniences to make this superfood quick and easy for you today. I’ve even included a creepy, secret ingredient that will supercharge your health!
From healing leaky gut to reduced joint pain to an improved immune system, you’ll love having this old-school medicinal food in your modern health medicine cabinet.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”Hippocrates
Running short on time or getting ready to travel? I really like this store-bought bone broth for those busy times!
Bone Broth Benefits
As an integrative medicine physician assistant, I just need to take a minute to share with you what you can gain from homemade bone broth!
I have seen amazing results in patients, especially for healing leaky gut and reducing pain with arthritis, when they added 1-2 cups of bone broth into their daily diet. I want that for you, too, my friend!
There’s a ton of health benefits associated with daily consumption of homemade bone broth. Just 8 ounces a day can help to:
- Reduce Inflammation (and PAIN!!)- The high levels of glutamine can be fantastic for decreasing inflammation through the body (ie, good for chronic pain, osteoarthritis, autoimmune conditions like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and inflammatory bowel diseases)
- Improved Sleep- Homemade bone broth is full of glycine, which is an amino acid that promotes better, more restful sleep
- Packed With Nutrients- When you make homemade bone broth, the nutrients are released from the inside of the bones and connective tissues. This means a broth full of healing amino acids (it’s high in protein), collagen, gelatin, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, vitamin A, vitamin K, zinc, selenium (great for brain health and healing Hashimoto’s thyroiditis!), manganese, and fatty acids.
- May Protect Joints- The high levels of gelatin and collagen are fantastic for providing the body with the materials to protect and rebuild healthy joints. It often reduces the pain of existing arthritis.
- Gorgeous Skin and Less Cellulite!- Umm, this is my fav! Clear skin and less cottage cheese thighs thanks to collagen?! Yes, please!
- May Aid Weight Loss- Woohoo! Packed with protein, bone broth can help you to feel fuller for longer with less calories, which can promote healthy weight loss. It also contains CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), a fatty acid which can rev up your metabolism to help you lose weight.
- Heals The GUT!!! (this one is HUGE and deserves its own spot with more below)
- Strong, Beautiful Nails- Want gorgeous, mani-pedi-ready nails? Add in 1-2 cups of bone broth a day! I could not believe the difference in my own nails after just 2 weeks!
How Does Bone Broth Heal The Gut?
Bone broth is easily absorbed, even when you have leaky gut. This makes it perfect to heal up leaky gut.
The collagen and gelatin in homemade bone broth help to repair the “leakiness” of the small intestine, and high levels of glutamine in bone broth reduce inflammation and bring the tight junctions in the small intestine back to a normal size.
If you’re using bone broth to heal the gut, you get better faster if you drink 16-24 ounces of homemade bone broth a day, instead of the 8 ounces that’s recommended for general health.
Amazing Homemade Bone Broth Starts With Amazing Ingredients
Quick word on the foundation of your homemade bone broth– Start with the best ingredients.
What Kind of Bones Do You Use For Bone Broth?
Because we’ll be getting all the goodness (that giant list of health benefits above) out of our soup bones and leaching it from the marrow of our bones, we want to start with the best soup bones.
So, shoot for organic, grass-fed, grass-finished bones!
I personally like ButcherBox because it’s been cheaper than my local grocery store for organic meat and grass-fed beef. It comes right to my door, too, and I’m a fan of keeping healthy with less effort! Feel free to choose the easy and healthy option, my friend! Use the code AP10 to get $10 off your first box
You can also make friends with your local butcher. Most butchers are happy to supply you with soup bones.
Local farms may also be able to supply you with high-quality bones. Ask around at your farmer’s market for a recommendation.
Bones from smaller, meaty cuts may have more flavor. A lot of people like the flavor from ribs bones, necks, or knuckles.
Be sure to NOT SKIP the step on roasting the bones!!! This makes for a deeper, richer flavor!
The Supporting Cast of Homemade Bone Broth
Be sure to use organic veggies and herbs to boost the flavor and health bennies of your homemade bone broth.
You can even switch out which herbs you’re using depending on your current health needs.
Wanna ward off a cold? Pack it with ginger, turmeric, and garlic!
Looking to lose weight? Add some cayenne pepper and leeks!
Reduce joint aches and pains? Season liberally with turmeric!
Nursing mama? Add lots of fennel for great milk supply!
The Halloween-y Secret Ingredients For Killer Health
They’re creepy, but they’re fantastic for increasing the collagen and gelatin levels of your homemade bone broth. The secret ingredients are…
Chicken feet and chicken beaks.
Okay, let out a little scream, and go buy some.
These creepy little additions will significantly boost the collagen and gelatin to give you lots of health benefits. Don’t worry– we’ll strain ’em out in the end so you won’t be eating them directly!
How To Make Homemade Bone Broth
Make delicious, nutritious homemade bone broth to rev up your metabolism, destroy cellulite, improve gut health, decrease pain, repair joints, and fortify your immune system! One cup a day may just keep the doctor away!
- 2-3 pounds soup bones from a reputable source
- 2 chicken feet or beaks (optional but great source of gelatin)
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup diced onions (scraps work fine too)
- 1 cup carrots
- 2 stalks celery (cut in large pieces)
- 1 Tablespoon mineral salt
- 2 sprigs rosemary (optional but strongly recommended)
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- water (usually about a gallon)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roast soups bones; 15 minutes for chicken bones and 25 minutes for large beef bones.
Place soup bones in the bottom of the crock pot. Add vinegar, vegetables, and spices. Pour cold, filtered water over everything, letting water come up to 75% of your crockpot.
Turn crockpot on low, and cook for 24-36 hours (I usually do 24 hrs for chicken and 36 hrs for beef). After the first two hours, skim impurities off the surface, then resume cooking.
When finished cooking, strain through a mesh sieve and cool quickly; you can add ice cubes. Store in fridge and use within 5 days or in freezer.
If you need a good sieve, I love this one!
Also, when I’m pressed for time or run out of bone broth, I often make it in the Instant Pot. Follow the recipe above, but cook it on high pressure for 2 hours.
If you’ve been thinking about getting an Instant Pot, they’ve been on a great sale on Amazon this summer! I also often save money on Amazon purchases by using gift cards that I earned free through Swagbucks!
Join those housewives from days of old and spend just 5 minutes (active time) making this homemade bone broth superfood to help you have vibrant health.
It’s so easy and so vital for your health!
- Supercharge Your Weight Loss- Need a little extra “oomph” to help you stay on plan? Several of my friends recently introduced me to HealthyWage. If you’re losing weight well with THM or if financial rewards motivate you to stay on track, then HealthyWage is perfect for you!
- Save on Healthy Meat– ButcherBox is my new favorite way to buy antibiotic free, grass fed beef, pork, and chicken! It’s cheaper than I can get it in the local stores, and it comes right to my door! Use the code AP10 to get $10 off your first box and FREE nitrate-free bacon!!
- Get Healthy Foods for Less- Thrive Market is like the online Costco for healthy groceries, and they even have healthy meat and seafood! We love saving money with wholesale prices on healthy groceries and products that get sent right to our home! Get an extra 25% OFF your first order when you sign up at Thrive Market HERE!
Sharing is caring! If this post has been helpful for you, please click HERE or on the image below to share it on Pinterest! Thanks!