Low Carb 5 Layer Mexican Dip Health Benefits
AvocadoAvocados are full of monosaturated fatty acids that are great for your heart health. They’re packed with fiber, and they have the potential to improve your cholesterol numbers (lower the bad LDL and triglycerides). They’re even higher in potassium than bananas!
SalsaSalsa can be a nutritional powerhouse. It’s a delicious way to get your veggies in, and it’s low in calories. The tomatoes are packed with lycopene, which may reduce the risk of certain types of cancers and heart disease. They’re also brimming with vitamins A, C, and K, and they’re rich in magnesium, B6, and folate. Cilantro can help the body to detox from heavy metals, lower anxiety levels, and may even decrease the risk of developing bladder infections. It also gives a classic tex-mex flavor to dishes.
Low Carb Guilt-Free Chip OptionsOkay, if you’re having delicious low carb dip, you need some equally tasty low carb chip options, right? 🙂
1. Non-Starchy VegetablesOf course, you can use the dieter’s BFF– non-starchy veggies, like peppers, celery, cucumbers, and zucchini. Sliced radishes may also make a great chip substitute and add a bit of zip.
2. Pork RindsPork rinds are a classic low carb option and a Keto Diet or Atkin’s Diet staple! It creates a nice crunchy “chip” that can scoop up a lot of this yummy healthy 5 layer Mexican dip!
3. Bacon “Chips”This is my husband’s favorite option! What a delicious way to lose weight and stay on plan! Here’s two great and super easy recipes to make “chips” out of bacon in just 20 minutes or less! Paleo Bacon Chips Keto Bacon Chips
4. Cheese ChipsThese are my personal favorite. First, line a microwave-safe plate with parchment paper. Then, take a piece or two of regular cheddar cheese, break it up into bite-sized pieces, and microwave it for one minute. Let it rest in the microwave for one minute before removing, and voila! Yummy cheese chips!
5. Low Carb Wrap or Tortilla ChipsJoseph’s Lavash Bread or low carb tortillas. You can cut the lavash bread or tortillas with a pizza cutter to get even pieces quickly. Then, toast in a toaster oven for just a few minutes, watching closely to make sure that they don’t burn. If you’re on the Keto diet, pass on this option and stick with the other 3 above. But, if you are doing Keto, please be aware of these potential risks of doing Keto long-term!
Hope that you love this dip as much as we do!
What’s your favorite low carb “chip” option?
More Easy THM ResourcesFor even more fun stuff to keep you on plan, check out all my THM resources to keep you happily and easily on plan. There’s a giant list of easy E meals and speedy S ones, budget-friendly ideas, and a reusable one week menu tailored to you!
So good you'll want to slap your abuela (just kidding, don't do that!). But, seriously, it is amazingly delicioso.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 scallions, chopped (white parts only)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese (freshly grated tastes best)
Mash avocados in the bottom of a 9-inch glass pie pan.
Top with a layer of sour cream, then sprinkle with scallions.
Slowly add salsa on top, being careful not to mix the layers.
Top with shredded cheese and enjoy!
This recipe is a great one to personalize! Consider the quantities above as guidelines, and you can add a little more or less of each layer as your tastebuds desire.