Trim Healthy Mama is an amazing way to eat, and one of the best parts about it is that you can find an on plan alternative for almost every food! So, if you’re craving a certain comfort food, you can still have it and stay on plan! But sometimes, all that cooking can wear a Mama out!!! For those days, check out these super speedy and easy THM S meals to the rescue!
If you’re doing the Ketogenic Diet, the vast majority of these meals will also work for you… But if you’re doing the Keto Diet, I have a word of caution for you from my experiences as a holistic health care provider!
These low carb meals are family friendly and this mama approved! I’ve been testing out all the options on this list since my second little blessing arrived 5 months ago. She’s adorable and fun… and hungry all the time/doesn’t like to sleep!
I need quick meals that taste good and that my whole family will eat since Mama doesn’t have time to cook two separate entrees at meal time.
This is my carefully curated list of delicious, speedy meals full of healthy fats to fill you up and slim you down!
Why You Need Fat
Including healthy fats in your diet is so incredibly important!
Did you know that every cell in your body is enclosed by a phospholipid bilayer composed primarily of cholesterol. Every single cell in your body needs some fat!
A total cholesterol level of less than 140 has been correlated with an increased risk of dementia. Your brain needs you to eat healthy fats to keep your mind sound. Haha, eating fat keeps you in your right mind, if you will!
Monosaturated fats, like those found in nuts and avocados, are fantastic at improving your blood cholesterol levels. It can help to raise the HDL (the “happy” or good cholesterol), which can help to protect you from heart disease.
Healthy fats are critical to the production of healthy sex hormones. Sooo, it’s good for both men and women to have adequate fat intake.
Healthy fats are also important for good emotional health. Low intake of healthy dietary fats has been linked to depression and concentration issues.
The fats in coconut oil can rev up your metabolism and make it easier for you to lose weight.
Saturated fats, like the ones found in butter, coconut oil, and red palm oil, have incredible antimicrobial properties. This means that they can improve your immune system and help you to ward off yeast and bacterial infections.
My Favorite Ways to Reduce Time Shopping and Cooking
1. My Cooking BFF
I’ve always been a huge fan of my crockpot ‘cuz you can put the food in there and set it and forget it.
But the Instant Pot has changed my life and saved me so much time (and from going off plan). Sometimes I forget to defrost the meat for dinner… and I usually think about starting dinner at 4 or 5pm.
Not a problem for an Instant Pot! You can put meat in there still frozen (but you may need to reduce the liquid in the recipe a little) and still have dinner done in 45 minutes or less!
2. Walmart Grocery Pick Up
This has been such an incredible time saver!!! With two little ones to keep me busy and trying to keep them on some sort of nap schedule, Walmart Grocery pick up has been super helpful for us!
Genius Tip– A friend of mine adds to her order throughout the week to make sure that she doesn’t forget anything!
As an added bonus, it helps me to save money because I can see a running total for my groceries. It makes my life easier and frugal-er! Woot woot!
3. Google the Possibilities
Googling “keto” and “low carb” recipes can be a great way to expand your arsenal of quick, easy S meals.
The vast majority of those recipes will fit within THM S parameters, and there’s tons of great options out there! I’m so thankful for the creators of those recipes.
Do be careful about keto recipes, though, as some include sugar free items. You may have to change out sweeteners for on plan options!
I’m also really, really thankful for THM because of the balance we can strike between low carb and healthy carbs. Healthy carbs are so important for your health, particularly for good thyroid and adrenal function.
Check out my super popular Easiest E Meals Ever post for quick and easy E meals and more about why you need carbs!
4. Batch Cook
If you haven’t tried cooking meals or food in batches, you should! It’s a great time saver.
Cooking up 3-5 pounds of beef or ground turkey at once can be a HUGE help. I freeze it in 1-2 pound portions. That makes it easy to pull out and defrost for quick dinners like the ones listed below!
Speedy S Meals
Okay, now that you’re pumped up about benefits of fats and easy ways to shop and do meal prep, here’s my list of simple, speedy S meals, snacks, and desserts:
- Egg Pita Breakfast Pizzas- use a Joseph’s pita and top with scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon bits, and salsa. To make it even easier, you can cook the eggs in a mug in the microwave, stirring every 30-45 seconds until done.
- Scrambled eggs with sauted veggies
- Muffin in a mug
- Bacon and Eggs Cottage Casserole– okay, this one takes some time in the oven to bake, but the prep is simple! I throw all of the ingredients into the blender (even veggies and bacon bits), whizz them together, pour into a pan, and then put the blender parts in the dishwasher for quick clean up. It’s just my husband and I eating this, so it lasts for several meal times.
- Baked Bacon- this makes a great accompaniment to any of the options above or pair with some Greek yogurt! Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, spread out bacon so that pieces don’t touch, and place in a cold oven. Turn oven on to 400 degrees and bake for 13-20 minutes depending on desired crispiness and thickness of your bacon.
- THM Cuffin Mix- there’s chocolate or cinnamon options!
- Low Carb Bagels– Sorry, friends, you will have to bake something for this! But, thankfully, it’s speedy, and these freeze great so that you can cook once a week and simply defrost one on the other days. This is my favorite pan to make bagels in, and I love Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel Seasoning!
- Zucchini Alfredo for One from the Trim Healthy Table cookbook
- Pita Pizzas– I’m currently hooked on speedy little pita pizzas for lunch. You can use a Joseph’s pita or a low carb tortilla, and load it up with your favorite toppings. I love a traditional margarita style pizza (no sugar added tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and basil) or my bbq chicken pizzas made in the toaster oven. Line the baking pan with parchment paper, and clean up is a snap!
- Tuna or chicken salad stuffed into green peppers
- Caesar Salad- To make it extra easy, I buy lettuce that’s already cut and pre-washed. Top lettuce with Caesar dressing, Parmesan cheese, cut up rotisserie chicken, and homemade croutons. Homemade croutons are super easy; cut a Joseph’s pita (or 1 slice sprouted bread if you’re ready for an S Helper) into bite sized pieces, spray lightly with coconut oil spray, sprinkle with garlic powder and a dash of mineral salt, and bake in a toaster oven until crisp (watch carefully since they burn easily).
- Dinner Leftovers- Haha, yes, this one is kind of cheating, but it’s my favorite way to stay on plan!
- Wasa crackers or Joseph’s pita chips topped with avocado slices
- Cheesecake berry crunch from The Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook
- Homemade Cheeze-Its! Lol, need I say more?! It’s one of my favorite super-easy snacks! Line a plate with a piece of parchment paper, break one or two slices of Sargento Ultra Thin Cheese into small squares, and microwave for 1 minute. Leave in the microwave for one minute, then enjoy!
- A handful of nuts (just be careful– these are easy to overdo!) and some berries
- 5 Layer Mexican Dip with “chips”
- Baked chicken legs or thighs (add some spices if you’d like), bagged salad with an S dressing, and Bacon Green Beans. Bacon green beans are so tasty and easy. Save the grease from your Baked Bacon (see above in the Breakfast section) in a pot, add a can of green beans that you’ve drained the water from, and top with some bacon bits. Cook on medium high, stirring occasionally, until the beans start to char a little; usually about 15-20 minutes.
- Steak, roasted broccoli, salad
- For all that ground beef or ground turkey that you pre-cooked (or you can brown it up that day)
- Taco Salad- This is my favorite taco seasoning recipe, and I add 2/3 cup of water to it; to keep it on plan, just swap out the cornstarch for Gluccie if you need it to thicken the tacos
- Spaghetti and Meat Sauce- Use a tomato sauce with no sugar added, and boil up some Dreamfield’s pasta for a speedy pasta night!
- Eggroll in a Bowl– we love this one! Use a bag of shredded cabbage to make it super simple!
S desserts are the best! There are so many delicious, succulent options, even when you’re in a hurry!
- 5 Ingredient Cheesecakes– I make this all the time! My favorite sweetener to use is the THM stevia.
- Peanut Butter Fudge– just 3 ingredients and less than 3 minutes to make!
- Dark chocolate (85% dark to stay on plan) smeared with some all natural peanut butter
- Pay Off Day Candies- from the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook take less than 5 minutes to whip up
- Ice Cream Float- made with Zevia soda and HaloTop ice cream
- Trimtastic Cakes- Like the cottage casserole above, you do have to bake this option, but it can be made in the blender. My current favorite is the lemon version from Trim Healthy Table.
- Peanut Butter Whip– so so good!
More Easy THM Resources
For even more simple and speedy S meals, check out my FREE one week, THM-friendly menu plan (you can sign up in the side bar, and be sure to check your promotional or spam folder ;). The menu is designed to keep you full and give you a great variety of E and S meals!
Resources That I Love
…for a healthy body, soul, and budget:
- Stay On Plan with THM and Supercharge Your Weight Loss Goals- Staying on plan and losing weight just got a TON easier with this amazing health and wellness planner! As a holistic healthcare provider and 4 year THM vet, I’ve seen how my patients crush their health and weight loss goals when they have the right tools. Grab yours HERE!
- Walmart Grocery Pick Up– This makes my life soooo much easier! You place an order, they shop for you, and then they load it into your car when it’s time to pick it up. I save time not having to shop, I save money by not making impulse buys in the store, and it saves my sanity not loading up two small kiddos into a shopping cart. If you haven’t tried it yet, use this link to get $10 off your first order!
- Save on Healthy Meat– ButcherBox is my new favorite way to buy antibiotic free, grass fed beef, pork, and chicken! It’s cheaper than I can get it in the local stores, and it comes right to my door! Use the code AP10 to get $10 off your first box and FREE nitrate-free bacon!!
What are your favorite, easy S meals? I’d love to hear from you!