Whether your garden is going crazy or you simply struck gold(en squash) at the farmer’s market, these simple and easy low carb squash recipes will give you tasty, easy ways to use up your abundance of yellow squash.
These 3 low carb squash recipes are gonna have you running when the dinner bell rings.
These healthy yellow squash recipes are SO fast, so easy, and so delish that you’ll love squash season… and might even find yourself making them any time of year!
Better yet? These recipes all highlight how low carb squash can be, and still be paired with yummy other things that go great with squash!
So if you’ve got a garden full of yellow squash, found it on an amazing sale, or got a bunch of cheap organic summer squash in your Misfits Market box, these are the recipes for you!
Have you tried Misfits Market? They send a box of amazing organic produce to your door every week, and it’s SO much cheaper than in the grocery store! Check it out here and save 25% off your first box. I always feel like I’m on the tv show Chopped whenever I open the box, and I race myself to make sure I eat up all that yummy produce while it’s at its peak.
If you’re following the Trim Healthy Mama diet like I am (check out how I lost 20 pounds of baby weight in just 4 months, while nursing!), these are THM S or THM FP healthy squash recipes.
And as an integrative medicine physician assistant, I gotta take a minute real quick to highlight all the goodness of low carb squash. Healthy yellow squash recipes to follow below.
Is Yellow Squash Good For You?
It’s high in several vitamins and minerals, including A, B6, C, folate, magnesium, riboflavin, potassium, manganese, and phosphorus.
It’s also high in fiber, which is great for staying regular, achieving a healthy weight, and promoting healthy cholesterol levels.
Is Squash Good For Weight Loss?
The soluble fiber in good ole low carb squash is great for helping you to feel full longer, promote healthy gut bacteria, and may help you to lose belly fat.
Yellow squash is also high in manganese, which can help the body’s ability to process fatty foods and carbohydrates.
How Many Carbs In Yellow Squash?
One medium yellow squash has 4.8 g net carbs.
You’ll be eating about 1/2 of a medium yellow squash in each of my recipes, so you’ll be getting low carb squash with 2.4g net carbs per serving.
3 Low Carb Squash Recipes
Just in case you have even more squash that you can use up in these three recipes, I also love to make the Lemon Trimtastic Cake from the THM Trim Healthy Table Cookbook.
It’s an amazing, lemon-y low carb treat that takes like 5 minutes to throw the ingredients in the blender and 30 minutes to bake. So good and so easy!
1. Roasted Low Fat, Low Carb Squash (THM FP)
- 1 Large Yellow Squash
- Coconut Oil Cooking Spray
- Mineral Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Turn squash on its side and cut squash into 1/4 inch pieces (with the squash on its side, each piece should look like a little circle).
- Place circles on lined baking sheet in a single layer; squash circles can be touching on the sides but do not place on top of each other.
- Lightly spritz with coconut oil cooking spray, then lightly dust with mineral salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 20 minutes until well-roasted and a little bit crispy.
2. Low Carb Squash French “Onion” Soup (THM Deep S)
- 1/2 yellow squash, diced
- 1 Tbl butter
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- Place squash and butter in soup pot, cover, and heat over medium heat until butter melts and squash softens completely (it will change color slightly to a brighter yellow).
- Add beef bone broth and a splash of Worcestershire sauce and heat.
- Can top with a small sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast before serving.
*****Be sure to get a Worcestershire without added sugars (like this one)!
3. Fish Tacos With Summer Squash (THM FP or THM S)
- 1 medium or large yellow squash, diced into small pieces
- 2-3 tilapia
- Creole seasoning
- mineral salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking pan with parchment paper. Use kitchen scissors to cut tilapia into bite sized pieces, stick in pan.
- Add diced yellow squash to pan
- Top generously with Creole seasoning (I usually use 1/2-1 tsp) and a dash of salt, mix spices in, then spread one layer deep across the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until fish is a little crispy and squash is roasted and soft.
- Place in large romaine lettuce leaves and top with salsa verde and Pepper Jack Light Laughing Cow cheese for a THM Fuel Pull or add cheese, sour cream, and guacamole for a THM S.
Wanna stay in touch for more yummy, easy recipes and even snag a free, one week Trim Healthy Mama-Friend Menu? Sign up for my email list here:
- Low Carb Company Cauliflower (THM S)— cauliflower that you’ll actually want to eat
- Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna (THM S)– so fast, so easy, and perfect for using up your Misfit Markets or local CSA veggie box!
Resources That I Love
…to help you be healthy naturally:
- Supercharge Your Weight Loss- Need a little extra “oomph” to help you stay on plan? Several of my friends recently introduced me to HealthyWage. If you’re losing weight well with THM or if financial rewards motivate you to stay on track, then HealthyWage is perfect for you!
- Save on Healthy Meat– ButcherBox is my new favorite way to buy antibiotic free, grass fed beef, pork, and chicken! It’s cheaper than I can get it in the local stores, and it comes right to my door! Use the code AP10 to get $10 off your first box and FREE nitrate-free bacon!!
- Get Super Foods in Super Fun Flavors- Perfect Keto makes great super food products like collagen and MCT Oil powder in fun flavors like salted caramel and chocolate. Plus, they make travel-size collagen packets! Perfect for revving up your metabolism, and save 15% with code EARLY15 on all Perfect Keto individual products.
Sharing is caring! If this post has been helpful for you, please click HERE or on the image below to share it on Pinterest! Thanks!